Tuesday 2 October 2012

Andy finishing up with Garage Hymnal

Rich and I started Garage Hymnal in January 2005 when we hired a $50 microphone and recorded the arrangements we had worked out for the Sydney Uni Evangelical Union's Annual Conference. On the inside cover was an almost illegible rant, beginning with the question "why are we so afraid of emotion in our worship music?" Seven years later, with our sixth release due to be launched on 9 November, our production values (and arguable our musical taste) has improved substantially, but we are still just as passionate about not having to choose between great music and great words.

It's been an amazing ride. We've played some fantastic venues and worked with some incredible people. Most of all, we've sung with believers in all sorts of places, from Withcott to the Mornington Peninsula and been so encouraged by what we share in Christ. Bands have their ups and downs. We've cried with each other at bad news, and rejoiced with each other in new exciting changes (and yelled at each other occasionally too!) I've learned so much from being in this band. It's been one of the biggest challenges, privileges and joys of my life.

But circumstances and roles change. From next year I'm going to be taking on a new challenge as an assistant minister at St Barnabas Broadway, working primarily with the evening congregation and campus ministries. My wife and I have decided we can't give Garage Hymnal the time and focus it deserves while diving headlong into parish ministry.

My last gig with Garage Hymnal will be the EP launch on 9 November. This will be the last GH gig with this current lineup, so make sure you come along.

I am hugely grateful to so many people for so much. For Rich, Greg, Sass, Trent, Alanna and Steph in the band. For everyone who has ever played or written with us (Cedric, Biscuit, Beth, Murray, Mike, Mark, Lissa, Joe, Lynda, Steve, Pete, Luke, Clare, Chris, Belly, Evan, Dave, Jonny, Dorny, Nic, Jerry, Ludo, Andy, Rach, Dave, Pete, Jeremy, Ty, Damien, Tim, Hans, Dave, Tom, Kenny, Alex, Kester, Mike, Tom, Rosie, and countless others). For the behind the scenes people like Duncan our soundie, David Nicholas our amazing producer, Paul, Willow, Jimmy and Josh our tech partners, Zenon our incredible bookings agent, Dave Parker, Nicky, Rob, Cathlin, Jane, Kristi, Steph and Philip Percival at Emu, Jodie, Katie, Goldy,  Felix, James, Corienne, John, Lisa, Steve, Nath, Dave Mac, James, Tom, and many more who make each and every gig and record possible. For all my bosses for giving me stupid amounts of time off to pursue this ministry. For my family and friends and my incredible wife Steph for making enormous sacrifices to support an unpaid ministry as time and energy consuming as GH.

But the biggest thanks of all has to be to Jesus, who did something worth singing about 2000 years later, and which I'll still be singing about 10,000 years from now. 

Col 3:16

3 comments:

  1. Will be praying for you and your wife as you start this ministry. I hope that God will continue to guide the both of you in your marriage and ministry together.
    I'm really thankful for the gifting that God gave each of you within GH. Your music has helped refocus me on Christ, and uplifted many mornings and car trips!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Anon - it is truly an encouragement to hear that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have been so inspirational to me, thanks so much. I feel sometimes I am the most "pentecostal" in my anglican church, and that, yes, we should feel God more too, as he acts in our lives.

    Barnies will be blessed to have you, and I hope Garage Hymnal can also survive and grow through this trial to still bring good music and good lyrics into Christian circles.

    Tree

    ReplyDelete